Skip to content
Published: 17 April 2023
Why does bed wetting happen?
- You may not be waking up when you need to go the toilet for a wee or a poo.
- You may not be drinking enough during the day.
- Constipation, you may find it difficult to have a poo regularly.
- This may have happened to other people in your family.
- Worry about going to the toilet at home or at school.
What can you do?
- Try not to worry, this happens to a lot of children and young people.
- Try to use the toilet throughout the day, such as at break time, and before bedtime.
- Try not to drink fizzy drinks after your evening meal and before day.
- Drink more water and try to eat more fruit and vegetables.
What to do next?
- Talk to someone about this, who you trust. This could be someone at home or school.
- Ask your parent, person looking after you, or teacher, to speak with the school nurse.
How to get help
- You can contact your local school nursing service on 0300 021 8997 for advice and support.
- ERIC provide information and support to parents and children.